Tuesday 5 December 2006

The wonders of nothing

While waiting for Raggedy Anne to get back to me, I'd like to take a moment to discuss Buddhism. I can't, but I'd like to. It's a religion I don't know much about to be honest. I'm going to have to learn more. The main reason behind this is that I can't off the top of my head think of any wars that they've started, terrorist activities that they've been involved in or peoples lives they've ruined through enforcing their religious beliefs on someone. This isn't to say that they haven't, just that I have never heard of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a new religion (or indeed any religion), I just think it would be nice to find one that hasn't commited attrocities against humanity. The essence of most beliefs in various gods is supposed to be about tollerance and love and equality, but as history will show, most have had followers that have screwed it up and gone out to slaughter the disbelievers or whatever. I understand that there are some really great Muslims that object to the whole bombing thing and think it goes against everything their faith teaches. I also understand that the Christian faith doesn't think that only white people will be allowed in heaven. That said, the fact remains that some within their faiths do believe it.

If you happen to be reading this and know a lot about Buddhism (and I mean know a serious amount about it, not just that they shave their heads), leave me a message or something. I've already looked into Taoism and that was a fascinating study and so I'm keen to add another block of knowledge to my somewhat considerable stockpile.

-Salem

Random Trivia: In the song '500 Miles' by 'The Proclaimers', the word "haver" means "to talk foolishly". Now you know.

4 comments:

Kallisar said...

Well Salem my knowledge on Buddhism is to say not a lot however I do have an internet connection and anopther 4 hours of "work time" to burn so prepare for lots of links on the subject.

Bwahahaha for my first piece of info. BuddhaWiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism

Sara_Jayne said...

I was entangled in a terrible google net trying to find my password! Sufficed to say I still don't know what the original was

Salem said...

This pleases me on both counts. I'm not sure why the Buddhism topic is the one to get all the comments, but hell, I'll take it!

Salem said...

And there's the start of an interesting entry right there folks.