Thursday 2 August 2007

A Sydney Morning Herald Article Slashdotted? Yeah. Right.

So I was walking past the local newstand when I was confronted by the headline:

New Sneak and Peak powers for police!

Curious, I checked the publication of the paper (Sydney Morning Herald) before running off to do the 15 billion things I had to do, and ended up coming home quite late.

This morning, I looked for the article on SMH.

It's already gone under the paid section - something that normally doesn't happen for another day at least.

The Age article is still up, however, so get it while it's hot.

The summary is basically that it allows wiretapping and seizing computer and business equipment without a warrant (until after they've done it - 6 to 18 months later).

Just thought people should be getting angry.

Oh, and I'm checking a cross-posting tool, so I hope it plays nice.

1 comment:

Salem said...

After just having read 'Dark Rivers of the Heart' again recently, that actually is concerning. Dark Rivers goes into the basics of the property forfiture laws in America and again, they don't have to prove you did anything to sieze your property, just that something illegal happened there. Oh and when I say 'sieze', I mean they don't give it back, they just keep it or sell it when they're done. Those laws however may have been revised since then as the book was written in the mid 90's.

Still, kinda interesting.