Wednesday 16 January 2008

Mighty and Powerful Gods

Well it's about time I did something here. As far as Kahn, Frejak and I are concerned, 2008 doesn't start till we say it starts, so we'll get back to you when the change is official. Before you ask, no, it has nothing to do with my crazy Solstice/Equinox holidays or the Chinese new year. We're just not happy with the start as yet.

Anyhoo... I was digging around on Google image search for a new avatar. Kahn and I have a long standing joke revolving around the main characters from Dreamworks 'The Road to El Dorado'. It's commonly accepted that he's Tulio (because he loves the monies) and I am Miguel (because I love making his life more difficult). I found what I was looking for after a while and added a bit of dialogue (as is my want) and here's what I have:

Yeah, I'm something like that...

This is all very nice as far as stories go, but it's not actually the point of my post. The point of my post comes from where I found my little image. What is my point I hear you say? Quite simply it's that guys are not the only ones that have on occasion thought that a cartoon character can ring their bell so to speak. Indeed whoever this 'sammyjaynton@hotmail.com' is, her little web-shrine to him makes it quite clear that Miguel is hers and we can't have him. Now, does this mean that because I will occasionally use his likeness as an on-line avatar that she's likely to take offence? I hope not. Still, it's interesting to see someone get so tied up in this sort of thing.

Now you can calm down, I'm not actually taking jabs at her (for a change) I just honestly find this sort of thing interesting. We've all seen people have a sort of fantasy crush on a movie star or fictional character. I'm sure I could type up a name or two and get a reaction. That sort of thing is generally accepted. Johnny Depp. Why then is it so much more ridiculous when the object of such fantasies is animated? For most of us, we know that it's all just a fantasy that is unlikely to happen. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that at the end of the day, why make fun of someone for fantasising about a cartoon character. It's not that different to fantasising about a movie star and really, shouldn't we be concentrating all our ridicule on Scientologists anyway? Seriously, what the hell is wrong with those people?

-Salem
I'm having an awesome day today, so Scientology has to be in for it!

7 comments:

Kahn said...

Well I like it. Well if we're on for fantasising about animated characters I just want to take the time to say...I still don't see the appeal in Ariel.

Sorry it's a fin thing. For some reason I have no problem with blue tentical heads but fins, no thanks, I've got standards. Ariel i'm sorry, it is beyond my control.

Glad to here you're having a good day and I close by saying "the horse was a surprise."

Salem said...

By now, the horse really shouldn't be a surprise.

It's ok, I don't really see what the fuss is with any of the Disney princesses. They don't seem like much fun to me.

My pick would be either Kim Possible or Major Kusanagi. I just can't abide head-tentacles no matter how much sci-fi wants me too.

Kahn said...

Got to agree on Major Kusanagi

Salem said...

I'm pretty sure that most guys would.

Frejak said...

mmmm Johnny Depp mmmmmm

Frejak said...

Eeeee Johnny Depp in a BATHTUB!!!!!!

Salem said...

Yes, yes he is...