Friday 19 October 2007

I Walked Into A Door...

...OR I Am Not Paid Enough To…

Yesterday I walked into a door. It was a big door, a solid door, a metal door, heavy and swinging towards me when I hit it with my noggin. It really hurt. In fact, it still does but the bruise is hidden by my hair so it’s not that impressive (damn it!). I walked into this door when I was suffering from what I can only describe as impotent rage.

I am a receptionist. I sit at the front desk and smile at rich fat cats all day. I am a phone monkey. I pick up that ringing bitch and lie about peoplesis whereabouts. I am the beverage wench. If they want a drink, I get it - water, tea, coffee, milo, beer, wine, rum - and then I even wash the dishes afterwards.

Nowhere in my job description does it say “routinely be insulted by director’s drunken brother”. Nor does it say “observe directors drunken behavior and make important decisions regarding his ability to drive, the welfare of others and the police”. I can’t find the paragraph outlining the requirement to inform clients of what I am wearing or the need to acknowledge what they would like to do to me (which most of the time is take me out for lunch, but frequently it isn’t).

So yesterday, shaking with rage as I considered the treatment that it seems I am expected to tolerate, I didn’t see the door, and smacked my self fair in the head with it.

I’m thinking of asking for a pay rise.

3 comments:

Salem said...

Well, I can understand this rage. While I don't have to endure the kind of humiliating treatment that you do, I have to put up with being taken for granted. My studies here have taken a back seat to the company's needs recently and as it turns out, at least one of our directors (the highest ranking one as far as I'm aware) has decided that I deserve no compensation to make up for my sacrifice, and believe me, it is a sacrifice that I've made.

My choice has become very simple. I'm going to finish my course, get my qualification and every time between now and then that someone here pisses me off, I'm going to up the amount they will need to offer me if they want me to stay by $1k per year. I've decided that I wouldn't start for less than $45k a year, so I've started building from there. We're currently sitting at $60k. If when my traineeship ends they laugh at the price I try to extract from them, I'm leaving and I won't for a second regret it. The hell with these ass-hats.

Kahn said...

Me, I love my job. I'm not saying this to rub it in, I sincerely hope that all of you can find a similar job satisfaction that I have.

Crumples said...

whatever kahn....whatever..